Monday, September 16, 2013

9.16.13

September is already halfway done! We had a really great week. Elder Buyers is doing really good and he has been improving a lot in his desire to work. One thing that I noticed a couple days ago is that he is even starting to teach like me. I wasn't expecting that to happen, but I guess its what I get for having a new missionary. It actually is kinda nice because it showed that I might be doing something good.. :)

Church yesterday was awesome! We had the senior couple from Gulu come and also one of the couples from Kampala. I have been playing the keyboard during Sacrament Meeting. I think I forgot to tell you last week, but I played last week and this week, and I will probably play the whole time I am here. Having the piano really helps add to the spirit of the hymns. Most of the time we sing  Acapella and it can get pretty bad sometimes because the hymns are new to most of the people here. I didnt know what the hymns were going to be yesterday, so I wasn't able to practice. I found out when they would announce the hymn right before we sing. The opening hymn was one I have never played before! That was an interesting experience. I was sight reading the entire time, but of course everyone thought I did amazing.. yea whatevers.. :) Anyways, the whole sunday service was very spiritual and we all learned a lot.

Today all of the missionaries in the Lira Zone went to a burial service! Thats something that not many missionaries get to do. There was a sister from the Adyel Branch that was a missionary in Ghana. She came home three weeks ago after getting really sick. And then she passed away on Friday. So all of us missionaries here were invited to attend the funeral. We drove about 50 kilometers out into the Bush. It was some village out in the middle of nowhere. Pretty awesome though! We were in a real African village. The burial service was interesting, it is a lot different than what we do in the U.S. for funerals. All of us Elders had a chance to introduce ourselves in front of everyone and share something. I really hope it made a big impact in the lives of the people that were there. I enjoyed supporting a fellow missionary who died in the service and we know that now she is a missionary in the spirit world and has an even greater calling there. I love the Plan of Salvation!! After the casket was buried, we all ate. The villagers made a ton of rice, beans, and some kinda meat. I don't know what it was but I'm guessing it was goat meat. There were no utensils, so we got to eat with our hands! Its really hard to eat rice and beans by hand, but it does help you get more into the food :) haha. So that was an experience I will never forget. I got to go to an African funeral/burial service!

Lira is a wonderful place. It is a pretty big place. Its not really village, but it isn't city, it's more like a country town, African style. The work is a lot different than being in the "city" in Mukono. I really enjoy it though. I love being a missionary! We had a baptism on Saturday. His name is Bruno Okello. I have only known him for a week but he asked me to baptize him. I was really surprised because I was sure he was going to ask Elder Buyers,but I had to accept. He was confirmed in church yesterday. After church we were talking to him, he was extremely grateful for us teaching him and bringing him the gospel. He told us that his entire life has changed, he is much more happy, etc. Even he said his wife loves him more! We are going to start teaching her this week. It made me so happy to see him so happy. The gospel really does change lives. The Church is true!

Enough about me :)

The work is truly being hastened! In like two or three weeks it will already be General Conference. I cant wait to hear what the Prophet and Apostles are going to say about missionary work this time. Its weird to think that conference is already almost here..

Elder David Bell wants Joey to write to him. He asked me to tell him that. Which reminds me, Andy hasn't talked to me at all! I want to hear about his life trying to get marriaged and stuff like that. :) Haha tell him to at least say hi to me or something. 

I am going to try to send a few pictures next week, I don't have my camera with me right now. But have a good week! Elder LeCheminant loves you all! Stay good, choose the right, remember who you are, remember your name. :) Haha that just brought back some memories....

Love Elder LeCheminant 

No comments:

Post a Comment